Please join me in supporting our hospital, Southlake Regional Health Centre and the Maternal Child Program and the NICU Donor Milk Program!
I’m participating in the Nature’s Emporium Run for Southlake to raise vital funds for patient care for the Maternal Child Department and Donor Milk for the NICU.
I am walking 70 KM through the next weeks until April 24th to represent the 70% of preterm babies in all hospitals across Ontario who don't have access to a full supply of their mother's own milk, leaving them with reduced vital nutrients and protective properties. And My Fundraising Goal of $40,000 is to provide 1 year of donor milk to Southlake Regional Health Centre's NICU.
Now, more than ever, our hospital and most vulnerable new citizens need our help to make sure that every baby receives the life saving donor milk.
Why Donor Milk?
Breastmilk can help save a preterm baby’s life by dramatically reducing the rate of a life threatening medical complication. Studies have shown that rates of necrotizing enterocolitis (a severe bowel condition that preterm babies are prone to), were reduced by 5.4% when they were given donor milk.
While mother’s own milk is the gold standard, many mothers of extremely vulnerable hospitalized babies are unable to provide the necessary volume of milk for their babies. When mother’s own milk is not available or is limited, pasteurized donor milk is recommended as an alternative to formula by The Canadian Paediatric Society for sick hospitalized infants.
- Donor Milk saves hospitalized babies lives. It reduces rates of medical complications and gives fragile babies a fighting chance.
- There are approximately 1500 low birth weight babies in Ontario a year.
- 70% of preterm babies in hospitals across Ontario don’t have access to a full supply of their mother’s own milk, leaving them with reduced vital nutrients and protective properties.
- More than 1,000 fragile hospitalized babies across Ontario could reduce their risk of medical complications by receiving donated milk every year.
- Donor milk is more easily digested than commercial formulas.
- Donor Milk contains bioactives (enzymes and hormones) important for preterm babies that formula milk does not have
Milk Banking is a common practice worldwide that has received endorsements from the Canadian Paediatric Society, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the World Health Organization. Southlake Lake Regional Health Centre needs to purchase this milk from the Rogers Hickson Milk Bank @ Mount Sinia Hospital at a cost of aproximately $40,000.00 per year.
I’m fundraising because I want to make sure that our most medically fragile hospitalized babies receive the liquid gold to get off to the best start in life.
Help me reach my personal fundraising goal by donating today!
Follow my walking milestones and adventures on www.facebook.com/denise.p.martin.3